4/12/12

Mine is Better ... or As Good: Eggs & Grits


Often, when eating at a restaurant, Jay will say "Meh. Mine is better." I get inspired to try cooking something when someone I know (who is not a James Beard award winner) does something brilliant with very few and simple ingredients. Case in point: grits. I just traveled to the South, near my birthplace, and still do not understand this complex starch. However, my friend Tristan once made for an amazing breakfast in Portland of grits and poached eggs -- especially with a tremendous bowl of cappuchino (which, sadly, I no longer imbibe). It was phenomenal!


So I returned home to Seattle, bought some boxed grits and applewood smoked bacon, and tried my hardest to replicate Tristan's wonderful feat. I added a leaf of spinach, dusted the eggs with some cracked pepper, and drizzled it with olive oil. Poaching is a world unto itself, with multiple if not infinite variations; my favorites include dropping the eggs into a pan of boiling water and a generous slosh of apple cider vinegar, covering with a lid, and removing 3-5 minutes later with a slotted spoon. These I believe I made with the flexible green patent-pending poachers acquired at our local Metropolitan Market. They were almost as good as Tristan's -- plus, with pork!

No comments:

Post a Comment