5/27/12

Recipe: Salmon Nirvana

What a glorious time in the Pacific Northwest! Salmon season has begun with the highly anticipated arrival of Copper River Chinook and Sockeye. Last night, I picked up some Sockeye -- which I believe to be one of the world's greatest delicacies. At the moment, I do not have a grill, so I prepared it my next favorite way, pan-fried. Wild salmon is best when it is just simply prepared. It doesn't need any sauces or even much seasoning. The beauty is in the way you cook it. It always makes me crazy when you go out to dinner, and the wild salmon on the menu is covered in a an orange glaze or has a butter sauce on it. Why? Leave it alone, cook it properly, and taste it in all its natural goodness.
I improvised this salad to go with it, and it turned out spectacular: arugula, shaved asparagus, cherry tomatoes, red onion, sliced Sicilian-style green olives, and toasted pine nuts. I put this all in a bowl and made lemon juice and olive oil dressing. I then added a shake of salt, pepper, and oregano.
Add a good glug of olive oil to a hot pan, and season your salmon with a dash of salt and pepper. I place the salmon skin side up first to get a nice crisp color on the top. Cook like that for a few minutes then flip it over, skin side down. When I have a piece with a good bit of the thin belly of the fish, I take that off first, because it cooks in a few minutes and is the best part of the fish. I don't want that to be overcooked! Just take your spatula and lift that part off the skin. Now cook the rest of it for about 5 more minutes (depends on the thickness of the fish). You can put a lid on it so it cooks through a little faster. You want the texture of the salmon to be moist, and it should practically melt in your mouth -- better undercooked than over-done. It will continue cooking once you pull it off the heat. (Overcooked salmon will stick to your teeth, and you will be searching in your cabinet for ingredients to make an orange glaze!) If cooked right, it will be like butter, and you will be in salmon nirvana.



No comments:

Post a Comment