6/1/12

Havana Affair

Today we set out for a Havana affair, venturing over to Ballard at the less crowded location of the insanely popular Paseo.
Most days if you drive by their location in Fremont, you will a see a line that stretches down the block. The Ballard location is usually not as busy and has plenty of outdoor seating and beachside appeal. You don't have to stand on the sidewalk and try to eat a sandwich that requires both hands, a table, and 50 napkins. In the past, I've enjoyed Paseo's sandwiches -- mostly the Caribbean roast, the grilled pork, and the sauteed prawns.  It's been a long while since I've had the sandwiches, because the last few times we've gone there, Regan and I have opted to just share a dinner plate. After revisiting the sandwiches today, it is safe to say that I highly prefer the dinner entrees. With the entree, you get whatever meat or fish you like, served with a side salad, a portion of beans and rice, and corn on the cob. This easily serves 2 or 3 people and you have less a chance of leaving with a mayo and grease stain on your trousers.
This afternoon, I had the prawn sandwich, which was nearly impossible to eat. The bread was much too hard, and upon first bite everything inside the sandwich fell out. I was not thrilled with it. I got the sauce -- which appears to be mayo with pickle relish, garlic, and some other seasoning -- on the side. It is basically tartar sauce, but it does pair nicely with the intense caramelized onions and succulent pork shoulder. They do tend to over slather it, which is why I always get it on the side. You can order the shrimp on a spicy scale of 1-5. I chose number 3. It was decent enough, but everything combined just didn't make a very good sandwich. 
Regan wanted to try something different, and I suggested the Paseo press, which sounded more like a typical Cuban sandwich. It was basically the Caribbean roast with a slice of ham and melted cheese. She thought the deli slices of ham and cheese were totally unnecessary and a gut bomb, but liked the addition of the banana peppers. She wasn't over the Havana moon for it. It was also impossible to eat as a sandwich, and she felt a softer bread might've held the contents together better.

The black beans and rice are fine but certainly not extraordinary. The beans were a bit too sweet for my liking, and the rice is just plain ol' white rice. This place has a crazy following in Seattle and is often rated as one of the best sandwiches in the city, but I would never wait in the line down the block for it. In reality, it's mediocre, and I think my days of eating there have almost come to a close. In the future, I may return to split a dinner or try their scallops but will search elsewhere for a better sandwich, or roast my own pork -- in the same amount of time it takes to wait in line at the over-hyped Paseo.

No comments:

Post a Comment