9/25/12

Cinque Terre

I thought I might be able to finish up the Italy trip in one more post, but it turns out there are far too many photos and great meals to write about, so there will be a few more. I have already written about Monterosso, so now I will combine the rest of the villages into one scrumptious post.
After leaving Monterosso, we arrived in Riomaggiore where we would stay for a couple nights while exploring the rest of Cinque Terre. Our first taste was a light lunch right on the harbor at a place called dau cila.  We had heard that only a foolish man would pass up the opportunity to eat lemon-marinated anchovies in Liguria. Wow!  I am so glad we tried them. Those of you who gag just by hearing the word anchovy should not be alarmed. These are nothing like the kind in tin cans that smell like a sailor's dirty socks after a week out to sea. With a little bread and a beer, this turned out to be one of the most memorable delights of the trip. My only regret is that we didn't have it a few more times.
Along with anchovies and pesto, the focaccia bread is another reason to visit this part of Italy. The next two mornings, we walked down to the center of Riomaggiore to Panicifio Rosi, a small bakery that served up some incredible focaccia. Oh, how I wish I could be back there, sitting on the steps and looking in my Italian book for the words to say bigger slice and more napkins, please! What a great way to start the day. It brought us so much joy in the morning.
Every piece we tried was so good, it was hard to know which one was the best, but the two pictured were probably the front runners: a tomato, cheese, and pesto slice, and one with onions baked in. I have never had focaccia in the states that even comes close to resembling the kinds we had in Cinque Terre. 
From Riomaggiore, we walked along Via dell'Amore to Manarola for dinner. Manarola is perhaps the most visually beautiful of all the villages. It is actually the main reason I wanted to visit Cinque Terre. I came across a picture of it online many years ago, and it remained a place I always said I wanted to go. I knew nothing about Cinque Terre nor this little village, but being there and taking this photo at sunset was everything that I dreamt it would be. We dined at one of the most celebrated restaurants in all of Cinque Terre, Trattoria dal Billy. We arrived right at opening and managed to grab a table on their panoramic balcony. Somehow, this was one of the only dinners when I simply forgot to take pictures of the food. It was nothing spectacular. The best part of the meal was the thick and luscious balsamic vinegar on the table that can be used to dip your bread. I had some pasta with bottarga, which is a cured fish roe. It wasn't bad, but it also didn't thrill me that much. Regan felt the same about her dish, which was pasta with shrimp and asparagus. Totally overrated food, but it was a beautiful place to sit with a glass of wine and watch the sunset.
The next day, we decided to check out Corniglia. This is a village high on a cliff that requires a walk of about 1,000 stairs, or you can opt for a shuttle bus. By this time, we were pretty walked out, so we hopped on the bus. The view from the top was incredible. You could see all of the other villages from the lookout. The town itself was very peaceful and probably the least crowded of all five villages.
The honey gelato in Corniglia is supposedly some of the best in Italy, so of course I had to sample some of that. What's better than having an afternoon gelato every day in Italy? I thought I'd tire of it and wouldn't care much about the gelato, but every day around 2:00 p.m., I start scouting out my gelato options.
Our last night in Riomaggiore, we headed back to the harbor and dined at another highly recommended restaurant. Trattoria La Lanterna was located right next door to dau cila, where we enjoyed the anchovies the day before. I ordered some kind of seafood sampler, which was several plates of small portions of fish. The presentation was beautiful. The food, however, was one of the worst meals I had in Italy. It was bland, not very creative, and a huge overall disappointment. It's a good thing we had a liter of white wine to help make the experience a little happier. Regan ordered a ravioli with a good cause: all the proceeds for the special anchovy and potato ravioli would go to help save Vernazza, which was the most badly damaged village in the horrible flood of 2011. It's too bad they couldn't make it a good dish. It was straight-up canned tomatoes poured over mediocre ravioli. I actually thought they were messing with us and purposely serving us bad food, until some locals sat down and ordered the same seafood sampler I had.
We did hike some of the trails in Cinque Terre, including this one from Monterosso to Vernazza, a pretty exhausting trip that did a number on my old knees. It was totally worth it, and the views from the trail are nothing short of amazing. 

Vernazza is an incredible place, still recovering from the flood that nearly destroyed it forever. It was not as bustling as it probably was before the flood. Many places were still closed, but it was on the rebound and looking like it was soon going to make a full recovery. While we did not eat in Vernazza, we did enjoy a much-deserved cold beer after our long hike to this remote village that time forgot.


No comments:

Post a Comment